Sunday 1 July 2012

How does a one-armed man do it?

It started creeping up on me yesterday evening and by the time I woke this morning for the umpteenth time arthritis had caused one of my shoulders to sieze up almost completely.  Drying myself after my shower was something of a challenge and it was then it occurred to me.  If I, with two hands and arms - even if one was almost immovable - was having difficulty, how would a person with just one arm manage to dry all his body?  It's another of those things most of us take so much for granted that we forget how much of a challenge it can be for some folks less fortunate than us.

~~~~~

I'm not a tennis fan but when I switched the television on for the late evening news at 10 last night, the Wimbledon match between Andy Murray and Marcos Baghdatis was being shown and I watched it for an hour.  I don't think I have ever watched tennis for so long at a stretch.  The match finished at two minutes past eleven - and I didn't bother to watch the news.

~~~~~

That fine imposed on Barclays Bank I was wittering on about.  I said it was £59 million but I have read in other places that it is £290 million.  Not a lot of difference - if you say it quickly.

~~~~~

So far it's been a funny old day weatherwise.  I woke at one time - it must have been fairly late in the night as it was daylight - to hear the rain hammering down.  When I got up there was a beautiful blue sky across the valley and over the Downs.  Half an hour later the Downs had disappeared in heavy rain.  Then we had blue skies again before another heavy downpour.  I thought to walk the dog in between the showers but it started raining just as I left the house - despite blue skies everywhere but above me!


3 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I read it was £59 million, too, and £229 million in the US. I think ita adds up close enough for government work.
Can't get behind watching tennis and the news puts me to sleep at night.
Funny and weather aren't words one would usually use together ...unless you mean funny peculiar, which brings up a memory...

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Oh yeah... from your title I was expecting a story about wallpaper.

#1Nana said...

Funny how our aches and pains remind us to be grateful for the days when everything is working.