Tuesday 6 November 2012

We did remember, remember the fifth of November

So that's all over for another year - bar the shouting.  The weather was fine and the display went ahead with no real problems.  As always, there were minor hicccups;  as always, these were caused by the cricket club imposing changes without consulting us.  Having been on my feet selling tickets from 3.00 till 8.00 (although the display had already started by then) I did my knee no favours, although I did not notice until I got home.  This morning, a couple of paracetomol and a 45 minute walk with the dog seem to have sorted things out.

We had our first real frost of the winter this morning.  I say "real" because we did have a slight touch of white one morning last month.  Today's effort was enough to cause me to slip as I walked to the park but I managed to stay upright.

I finally got around to checking who is standing for election as Police and Crime Commissioner for Sussex.  As I fully expected, none of the candidates is known to me.  There are five of them; one independent and one each representing the major political parties - Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat and United Kingdom Independence.  And this is supposed to be an apolitical post?  I'm not at all sure I will be bothered to vote.

~~~~~

A picture I took yesterday illustrates perfectly the description by Hilaire Belloc: "And along the sky the line of the Downs so noble and so bare".  The pointed hill on the left is Firle Beacon while on the right is Castle Hill.



No comments: