Monday 14 April 2014

Ice cream

Talking of ice cream... Well, I did mention it yesterday.  Anyway, the Old Bat started making her own ice cream some years ago.  I was rather taken aback when this started as I have known for many years that she is not exactly an ice cream sort of person.  Sure, she indulges in a very occasional ice cream in very hot weather and has been known to select an ice cream dessert on occasion when we have eaten out.  This happens especially in France, where ice cream confections are much more common and where there seems to be a much wider range of flavours than we have here in England.

On the other hand, I don't recall seeing brands like Haagen Daz or Ben & Jerry in any french supermarkets, but maybe that is simply because I have not looked particularly hard.  But they do seem to have a wider range of fruit-flavoured ice cream than we do, the only non-fruity ones being rum & raisin - and that, of course, is partly fruity - and the newcomer, ginger.  Oh, and mint chip.  One that both the OB and I like is the lemon that seems to be a halfway house between ice cream and sorbet.  But to get back to the home made stuff.

It started out with strawberry - using real fruit, of course.  That was good.  I don't recall just what other fruits were used, but white chocolate was and still is a particular favourite.  Mind you, it is not cheap to make, but what a decadent taste!  Now that summer is a'coming on I must nag her into making some more.

There was one flavour that all three children - and I - refused to eat after the first time of serving.  Brown bread.  Yes, you did read that correctly.  Brown bread ice cream.  A most peculiar mix of flavours and an odd consistency.  Thank goodness she took the hint and didn't make any more.

~~~~~

The River Ouse at Lewes.  On the skyline towards the left of the picture is Lewes Castle, built by William de Warenne, 1st Earl of Surrey, the brother-in-law of William the Conqueror, in 1069.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

I've never been a big fan of icecream either, even as a child I would always ask for an ice lolly rather than icecream. I do make the exception for a good homemade icecream though. Try to persuade the OB to make double cream and blackberry sometime, it really is the best thing ever!

Brighton Pensioner said...

Double cream and blackberry sound great, especially a blackberries are about my favourite fruit - but I'm supposed to be on a low cholesterol diet!