Saturday 15 February 2014

Valentines' Day?

It came and it went, having passed me by almost completely unnoticed.  Granted, I could hardly miss all the advertising both in the newspapers and on the television from the supermarkets competing with each other in their offers of "Dine in for 2 for £20".  It seems not all that long - though it is likely longer than I think - since Marks and Spencer started their offer of "Dine in for 2 for £10" and it is all of a sudden that the real supermarkets (I don't count M&S as a "real" supermarket) have brought out their offers.  The original M&S offer, which the old bat and I have taken up on perhaps three occasions, covers a main dish with a side dish, a dessert and a bottle of wine.  We think it good value, especially as the wine alone is usually priced at £7.  Not that I would reckon to pay that much for a bottle of plonk as it is so much cheaper in France.  But I still consider it good value.

Anyway, there I was wandering round Sainsbury's yesterday while the Old Bat was enjoying her oxygen-swilling session.  There were strawberries in heart-shaped plastic containers, lashings of pink greetings cards which no doubt had tacky messages (I didn't bother to look) and Sainsbury's own "Dine in for 2 for £20" offer, which I didn't bother to check.  One of the supermarket offers included chocolates and another - or maybe the same one - offered fizz instead of plonk.  We stuck with the sea bass fillets the OB pulled from our freezer yesterday morning.

You might gather that my dear wife received neither flowers nor chocolates nor even a card from me to mark 14th February, let alone a romantic candle-lit dinner in a posh restaurant.  Me and romance just don't go together and I can't recall even sending a valentine card when I was a callow youth.  There's absolutely no chance of me doing so in my dotage.

~~~~~

Sainsbury's car park yesterday, through the car windscreen.  I promise I have done nothing apart from pressing the button on the camera!




No comments: