Tuesday 19 November 2013

The milk of human kindness

I don't know if I have always believed in the essential goodness of mankind.  It's possible, I suppose, that I am just a starry-eyed optimist.  (Is that a line from a song?)  But let's just declare this a negative-free zone and decide that my original assertion is correct.  Either way, the events of the last couple of weeks here in Blighty have done nothing to diminish my faith.  The Royal British Legion hope to have raised £37 million through their Poppy Appeal to provide assistance to past-members of the British armed forces.  Within 48 hours of the launch of another appeal - this one to help the people of the Philippines - £23 million had been donated.  Then last Friday the BBC broadcast its annual Children in Need telethon - and raised £31 million on the night with more still to come.  Of course, the doom-sayers will point out that the total of the donations amounts to less than £2 per head of population of the United Kingdom (63 million or thereabouts) but in these times of economic difficulty, I still think it generous.

~~~~~

Over the last few days I have added a couple of blogs to my daily reading list.  But I have to wonder about those bloggers who list seemingly dozens of blogs that they claim to read.  How on earth do they find the time?  Or do they sit at their computers all day every day?  That's not far off the pot calling the kettle black, but I do try to have a life.

~~~~~

After those two days of bright blue skies, the weather has turned dank and drear.  Not exactly the kind of weather to encourage me to take photographs, so let's remember what summer can be like.  There was a field of these which we could see from the bedroom and one day the light was just right.


2 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

"Or do they sit at their computers all day every day?"

Well... at least his wife knows where he is.

Buck said...

But I have to wonder about those bloggers who list seemingly dozens of blogs that they claim to read.

You remind me of a long-delayed project: cleaning up my blogroll. Fully half of the blogs in my sidebar are dead, not having seen any new material in well over a year's time.

I've added blogs to the blogroll over time but I've never taken any away. I should get on that.

Mañana.