Friday 26 April 2013

If it isn't fun, don't do it

(Just a brief introduction for those readers who are unfamiliar with the set up of Lions Clubs.  These clubs are grouped together in areas called districts, each district being led by a District Governor.  Many DGs select a motto for their year in office. Each district holds an annual meeting known as a convention.)

Several years ago, the District Governor for Lions in south-east England adopted as his motto, "If it isn't fun, don't do it".  It was his opinion that although the objects or Lions Clubs are serious, achieving those objects did not necessarily exclude having fun and enjoying ourselves.  I think that his motto may perhaps have been something of an overstatement although it is surprising just how often even the apparently dreary jobs can be capable of enjoyment and the odd moment of hilarity.

I said above how each district holds an annual convention.  These, at least in England, are held over a weekend with a "host night" party on Friday evening, business sessions all day on Saturday, a banquet and ball Saturday evening, and frequently something else on Sunday morning.  I have been to many conventions but have generally restricted myself to the Saturday business sessions.  I don't do host nights.  And the reason for that is that they usually involve fancy dress.

There was one occasion when I was persuaded to go to an evening function in fancy dress.  the do was held at a seafront hotel here in Brighton and my embarrassment riding there in a taxi and then walking the last few yards was excruciating.  And that in Brighton where anything goes!

No, that's not me in the picture.  That's the current president of Brighton Lions Club and her husband at this year's host night.  They seem quite happy to make fools of themselves in this way - as, indeed, do many others.  But I see no fun in it at all.  And as the man said, if it ain't fun, I won't do it!

1 comment:

#1Nana said...

I am so with you on this! I also don't do talent shows and karioke...or however you spell it. I did it once in Japan, but alcohol was involved and i was thousands of miles from anyone who knew me.