Monday 4 March 2013

Does this make me a failure?

The author of a blog I came across some weeks back posted the following and it has been flitting through my mind ever since I read it:
It's so easy to put ourselves down, to think only of our failures and to forget our successes.
So here's a request for those of you who stop by to read this blog, and you can comment anonymously is you wish:

"Please tell me three things that you do well"
As I said, those words have  been flitting in and out of my mind since I read them.  I have yet to comply with the author's request.  You see, I'm not so sure that I can claim to do anything particularly well.  I suppose I would call myself an above average driver.  So would most men, but at least I can back up my assertion by pointing to the fact that I have passed the test to become a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists.  But, quite honestly, I can think of nothing else which I can claim to do well or at which I am successful.

There was one occasion, years and years back, when I was a member of a winning darts team, but any skill I had managed to develop in that particular sport has long since deserted me so that doesn't count.

One thing at which I do consider myself successful is map reading.

I suppose one could claim that as an Englishman I have an innate sense of modesty.  It was, after all, always considered the done thing not to brag or boast about one's achievements and to claim to be only moderately successful in anything.  Or to have enjoyed a huge slice of luck if winning at anything.  So perhaps that's the third I'm good at: being self-effacing and modest.

Or perhaps it is enough that I can do lots of things reasonably well.  So perhaps I'm not a failure after all.

~~~~~

I am so thankful that I am able to walk on the South Downs when we have days like this one was.


3 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I'm glad I didn't find that challenge.
I would never finish because I am an excellent procrastinator.

Buck said...

I would add "I take excellent photos," were I you.

As for me? I'm pretty danged good at drinking beer.

Brighton Pensioner said...

I would add "I take excellent photos," were I you.

You might well say that, Buck. I couldn't possibly comment being terribly English and far too modest (he says with his tongue you-know-where).