Sunday 4 November 2012

Old crocks

And no, although it may well be appropriate, that title does NOT refer to the Old Bat and me.  I am, instead, talking - well, typing about veteran cars.  Today sees the annual London to Brighton old crocks run, or Veteran Car Run to use its official title although everybody I know still calls it old crocks.  Remember Genevieve, the film with the Larry Adler harmonica theme music?  I can't say I do as I never saw it.

It was way back in 1896 that a law was passed raising the speed limit from 4mph to 14mph and removing the need for a man on foot to precede any "horseless carriage".  (It was two years later that the requirement that the man on foot carry a red flag was abolished.)  Anyway, to celebrate this marvellous new freedom, a group of motorists set out to drive from London to Brighton, thus establishing the annual tradition.-

All cars taking part - and the number is restricted to 550 - have to have been manufactured before 1905.

I did feel sorry for the participants when I saw the weather this morning - wet and windy.

Luckily - provided it is accurate - the forecast for tomorrow evening is good with a less-than-5% chance of rain.  Tomorrow, of course, is Bonfire Night when we celebrate the fact that a terrorist plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament and kill the King was discovered before it could be put into practice.  That was in 1605.  Brighton Lions hold our biggest fund-raiser on Bonfire Night, a fireworks display.  I hope I'm not tempting providence when I remark that during my 25 years as a member of Brighton Lions Club we have only once had to cancel the display because of rain.

~~~~~

I'm still posting pictures from my walk across the Downs some days ago.  After taking yesterday's photo, I turned round and spotted a hang glider, albeit one with non-standard equipment.


Some of his antics looked quite scary to me - this picture doesn't lie!

1 comment:

Buck said...

That hang-glider guy is either quite brave or quite stupid... I don't know which. Mebbe both.