Friday 14 October 2011

The little things in life

So often those little things in life seem to bring with them disproportionate amounts of pleasure. I had a bit of a moan the other day (and yesterday's post could be considered a moan, I suppose) so let's be positive today and think of the things that bring pleasure. Here, in no particular order except that in which they come into my mind, are a dozen of the little things in life that give me enormous amounts of pleasure.
  • The cheeky smile of my 4-years-old-soon-to-be-5 grandson.
  • The song of a robin on a winter's morning as I walk the dog.
  • The tingling pain as feeling is restored to hands numb with cold when they are soaked in warm water.
  • Standing under the powerful shower in our French house, much more powerful than the English one.
  • Looking across the South Downs when I open the bedroom curtains in the morning.
  • Opening a brand new book.
  • Being at my cousin's farm when the house martins return in the spring.
  • Using my windscreen-mounted toll-paying doodah to sail past long queues of cars at French motorway toll stations.
  • Seeing the obvious enjoyment my dog gets from something as simple as chasing a tennis ball.
  • A brilliant sunset.
  • Beech trees bursting into leaf.
  • And finally for today although there are plenty of others, but perhaps this is no small thing, living in a free country.
I really do have so much to be thankful for - and that, I am sure, applies to most people who read this blog. Go on - think of your own list of twelve.

3 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Thanks for that.

stephen Hayes said...

It would be hard to narrow it down to twelve. I've been truly blessed with the ability to love and appreciate small things.

Brighton Pensioner said...

Stephen, those were just the first twelve to come into my mind.