Wednesday 21 September 2011

So true

Today's quote - "No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one." (Elbert Hubbard) - rings horribly true. Granted, there were only 1500 or so spam emails and all but two had found their way straight into my junk folder, but quite a few of the 47 non-spam messages required some action from me. I'm still working my way through them. Then there are the accounts to update. I'm a stickler for keeping tabs on what money I have and what I owe (on the plastic) so there was a fair bit of updating to do there. I managed to take something like 200 photographs while we were away. Quite a lot of them can be deleted now I have chance to see them on the monitor rather than the camera's tiny screen and the rest need to be titled.

Just over a month ago the Old Bat's car failed its annual roadworthiness test because the left turn indicator repeater light on the dashboard had packed up. I think I mentioned that this proved to be a job for a main dealer so the car was collected by the nearest one, the light cluster (I assume) behind the dashboard - LEDs rather than bulbs - removed and sent away for repair. When it was returned to the garage, the wretched thing still didn't work so had to be sent away again. It came back and the garage rang to say the car would be returned. Then they rang again to say the car would not be returned as the unit was shorting out. In the end, the car was returned late on the afternoon before we left for France. It was put into our garage and left - but before we went away a fresh test appointment was made. That was for today. The garage have just rung to say the car has failed the test again - this time because the near-side constant velocity joint gaiter has a split. They will try to get this fixed today but are extremely busy and can't promise. Which is handy as the Old Bat has agreed to babysit the grandsons and I have a Lions meeting this evening. If push comes to shove, she will arrive with the grandsons pretty early and could well be staying later than planned as I will have to provide a taxi service.

No comments: