Sunday 3 April 2011

Gerard Hoffnung

I'm feeling lazy today so not a lot of writing.

Gerard Hoffnung died in 1959 at the age of 34. Born in Berlin of Jewish parents, he came to London as a refugee in 1939. He became a professional cartoonist and played the tuba but what he is primarily remembered for is his brilliance as a raconteur. In 1958 he took part in a debate at the Oxford Union and his speech was broadcast by the BBC. Here is the best-known part of it - the bricklayer's story. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do every time I hear it.

3 comments:

Positive Thoughts said...

See the power of positive thinking within you. Follow my blog and read interesting posts. God bless you. Positive Thoughts

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

My intro to Hoffnung was his cartoons and then in college when a Music Lit. prof played A Grand, Grand Overture, Op. 57.

The Broad said...

Great way to start my Sunday! Thanks...