Monday 28 March 2011

Catching up on the reading

I never seem to have as much time as I would like to devote to reading. Before I retired I read much more than I do now, but then I was commuting to London by train so much of the journey was spent with my head in a book. While I wasn't dozing, that is. Anyway, it is when we are in France that I really get an opportunity to pig out. I always take a great pile of books and frequently find I've not taken enough! One of the books I read last week was on the recommendation of The Broad. By coincidence, I visited our local library just a few days after she posted that on her blog and there on the shelf were all three volumes of the trilogy. Biographies are not normally my cup of tea but I decided to borrow the first volume, partly because I was intrigued by the concept of a "fictional biography". I also enjoy much of Beethoven's music so I had an interest in the subject. I was a little surprised how easy a read the book turned out to be. Despite its length (What is it - 400 or 500 pages?) I finished it in a very short time - and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope the other two volumes are still on the shelf when I next visit the library.

(I'm too mean to buy books and nearly always borrow them.)

2 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Maybe I will have to do a post about our libraries... if I remember.

The Broad said...

I'm really chuffed! So glad you enjoyed it -- it's a great read for France. I do the same when we go down -- nothing like French sunshine and nothing to do but read! I've started piling up this summer's list but am purloining the new Henning Mankell Wallander book for my trip stateside.