Tuesday 1 February 2011

My mistake

Well, we're back. We got back yesterday evening - and a lot earlier than we usually do when we return from la belle France. It was, as is only to be expected, all my fault. I made a slight mistake. On Sunday afternoon, we were enjoying a gallette des rois session with our near neighbours Jacques and Brigitte and their family when one of us mentioned having to return to England the next day. When asked what time we proposed leaving, I said (without giving the matter any thought - typical me) 8.15. Now that is the time we leave Brighton on the outward journey; the return trip usually departs at 9.15. So, I duly set the alarm clocks to wake me in time to leave at 8.15 (we actually got away at 8.30) in the crepuscular light. Now you might have thought that Mrs BP would have twigged either when I mentioned the time to J & B (although granted, we were talking in French) or when I asked her what time she would like her tea so that we could leave at the previously (and incorrectly) appointed hour - but she didn't. The result was that we got to Calais and finished shopping by 4.30 - too early to eat - so we caught an earlier train and got home about 7.00 with time to eat at home.

No comments: