Monday 13 December 2010

A first for me

At least, I think it is. I can't recall ever before taking more than two weeks to read a single book. I started it exactly two weeks ago today and as yet I am barely two-thirds of the way through. No, it's not War and Peace or The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. It's a 400-page novel of the crime/thriller genre - A Quiet Belief in Angels.

So why is it taking so long? Partly because the book is not a fast-moving, action-packed thriller. It is quite a slow-paced book, which always makes me read more slowly. The writing also needs concentration if I am to get the best out of it. Ellory takes his time over descriptions of scenes, people, thoughts - everything, and his unusual metaphors and adjectives need thinking about.

Am I enjoying it? I think so.

No comments: