Sunday 11 April 2010

Election fever

I have been a little surprised at the lack of coverage there has been in our newspapers and on the television of the forthcoming election. The PM went to Buckingham Palace on Tuesday to ask the Queen to dissolve Parliament and there was a lot of coverage that evening and the following morning, but since then there really has been very little. I suppose this is partly due to the fact that Parliament sat until Friday, so the campaigning has not really got into its stride. I expect that things will start to change this week.

The opinion pollsters are forecasting a hung Parliament with neither the Conservative nor the Labour party having an overall majority, which will not be good for the country. My constituency has had a Labour MP for some time now, the seat having been lost by the Conservatives in the early 1990s (I think), but the bookies are forecasting that it will be won by the Green party this time. A flyer for the Greens was pushed through the letterbox yesterday, but I have no idea what their policies are.

Another four weeks and it will be all over bar the shouting.

No comments: