Thursday 17 December 2009

Bye-bye cheque-book

A group of faceless bankers and others, known as the Payments Council, yesterday decided that banks in this country will stop issuing cheque books in 2018. There was a rumour a couple of weeks ago forecasting this decision, but a report in today's paper confirms that it has been made. I have to agree with the majority of comments that follow the foresaid report, although I use internet banking and am happy to buy on-line from trusted retailers. But there are many occasions when I find it necessary or more convenient to write a cheque. Only a couple of days ago I paid the kennels for Fern's keep while we were in France; I always pay the Lions Club by cheque for dinner meetings (while I was treasurer I found it preferable to be paid by cheque rather than in cash - that way I always knew who had paid). Many charities cannot do without cheques as people use them to send donations.

Having said all that, the threatened cut-off date is nine years away and the Council has said it will review the situation in 2016 to see that other payment methods are in place. I wait with interest to see just what form those other payment methods might take.

No comments: