Monday 12 October 2009

Tree-huggers do exist!

I have heard of tree-huggers but always assumed them to be more-than-usually avid nature lovers - until yesterday afternoon. I was walking quietly through the woods with the dog happily snuffling through the fallen leaves when I met a couple coming towards me. As is the custom, I greeted them with a nod and a 'good afternoon' and they responded quite normally. Then the lady cried out, 'Oh, what a lovely old tree! I must give it a hug.' And she did! I went on my way, musing on what her definition of a lovely tree might be and whether there is such a thing as an ugly one, if and why she only hugged old trees, and was this ageism in action? I was so deep on thought that it took a while for me to realise that somebody was calling my name. I looked round to discover that she was calling her dog, not me. To add insult to injury, the dog in question was a miniature French bulldog and not really a proper dog at all!

No comments: