Tuesday 16 November 2010

Jungle Jottings

Jungle Jottings is the name of the monthly newsletter for members of Brighton Lions Club. It was first issued almost 60 years ago but, although described as a monthly newsletter, there have been gaps of a month or two here and there. I was asked to take on the job of editor back in 2004 and have done the job ever since, which probably makes me the longest serving editor the newsletter has had in its existence.

Right from the start of my editorship, I set myself the target of producing eight pages each month. I aimed to include items that would inform fellow Lions of what was happening in the club (including the club diary and rotas for service and fund-raising activities), from time to time reminding members of what was expected of them (nagging, to put it bluntly) and telling them a little of what is happening around them by outlining the aims etc of other charities and the activities of other clubs, particularly our twin club. And I have generally succeeded in producing those eight pages.

But I have of late been wondering if what I have been doing is producing what I think the other Lions should have rather than what they want. How many, I have asked myself, actually read what I produce? I think that in future I will spend less time flogging myself to get out quite as much. Yes, the last page of humour will stay - that's probably the most read part - but information about other charities and clubs will go by the board. I might change my mind again in a few months time, but we'll just see how it goes for now.

2 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I have a suggestion:
Offer the "other charities and clubs" an opportunity to contribute to Jungle Jottings. Tell them how many words and what format you want. Then leave it to the members if they'll read it.

Brighton Pensioner said...

Not a bad idea that. I'll perhaps give it a try in a month or two.