Sunday 6 June 2010

Heard at Charter Night

Murphy was an Irishman who ran a very successful cheese-making company. He had reached the point where he wanted to expand so he went to his bank manager to ask for a loan.

"I want to start exporting cheese and I have decided to start with France. We'll call the new company Murphy's French Cheeses."

"I think it's a great idea to expand your business," said the bank manager, "but I'm not so sure about exporting to France. That is the country which makes the greatest variety of cheeses in the world. You really should think again."

Murphy went away, but a week later he was back again.

"I still want to expand the business by exporting," he explained. "We'll try Italy and call the business Murphy's Italian Cheeses."

"I'm still not sure," responded the bank manager. "Italy produces the second greatest variety of cheeses in the world. Think again."

Two weeks later Murphy was back in the bank.

"We're going to export to Israel."

"That's a great idea! I can't think of a single cheese that comes from Israel. I'll lend you the money. By the way, what will you call the business?"

"Cheeses of Nazareth."

1 comment: