Wednesday 3 June 2015

Skylarks

The skylark is, we are told, in danger here in England due, in the main, to intensive farming methods.  I am always so delighted to hear them when I walk the dog across the Downs.

Apparently, one of the most popular pieces of classical music is Ralph Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending.  It has never really worked for me, but I'm going to insert a video of the music played by Nicola Benedetti with the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Andrew Litton.  You can make up your own mind. Please don't think you have to listen to all 16 minutes!



This afternoon, my skylark pleasure was doubled.  I happened to see one spring into the sky - they always seem to materialise about six feet above the ground - and claw his way into the heavens, his song tumbling to earth.  And just as his song ended, another bird appeared!  Here is another clip, this time the real sound of the skylark.  I know which I prefer.  Again, you don't need to listen to all of it.


No comments: