Monday 8 March 2010

If it aint broke...

A maxim by which I try to live.  There seems to me little point in spending precious time endlessly adjusting something which is running perfectly well, but just occasionally I do like to tweek things here and there.  The latest case in point is the web site for Brighton Lions Club.  Having been not quite dragooned into taking over the District 105SE site, I have spent several hours producing what will, I hope, eventually be a better site and one around which it is easier to navigate with every page being no more than two clicks away from the start.  The ideal, of course, would be to have everything no more than one click away from the home page, but I don't think that is feasible with the District site as there is just too much to be included.  The club site, however, is a different kettle of fish.  I used to have a search facility on the site, but all the search scripts I have found rely on an external site sending a robot spider to index the site.  The hosting server no longer allows robots to do that so I removed the facility and merely expanded the directory menu.  That, I thought, makes the site look rather cluttered and I thought it would be better with a more open appearance.  So I have redesigned it with a cascading menu across the top.  All the pages of the site are now accessible from the home page with a single click and links to other sites require no more than two clicks.  Added to which, I think the whole site looks cleaner and clearer.  I hope people agree with me.  The site is at Brighton Lions Club if you would like to see it.

No comments: