Sunday 14 June 2009

Now there's a thing

It's only just dawned on me that I can't remember smells. Yes, I can recognise them, provided they are strong enough, but I just can't remember them. I can remember smelling something - the honeysuckle in the garden this morning, for instance - but I can't recall that smell now. It's not like sounds or sights, which I can remember. Say somebody's name, for example, and I see their face or hear their voice in my mind.

I asked 'Er Indoors if she could remember smells and she said she can, so maybe it's just me. Possibly something to do with the fact that I actually have very little sense of smell anyway. There are many occasions when it is an advantage, and certainly it is, along with touch, the sense that one can most easily do without.

No comments: