Monday 29 December 2008

Temptation

I was very tempted to write to the newspaper today, something I have never done. A reader wrote that if stores could offer a discount of 70% and still make a profit, he would boycott those stores in future. I had to wonder where he has been for the last few weeks. Stores are offering huge discounts, yes, but that doesn't mean that they make a profit on the discounted goods. There can be so many reasons for the discounts, from needing cash to pay rents and salaries, to having to get rid of stock that will soon become unsaleable because fashions change or electronic goods become obsolete, to simply having to match a discount offered by a competitor.

But I can't be bothered. I expect somebody else will put him right.

1 comment:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I too have been tempted in the same manner. I am reminded of a small sign I saw:
"I have already made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts."