Thursday 4 September 2008

The Sarah Palin Show

As an Englishman, I can have no input at all into the outcome of the American Presidential election. I can, however, have an interest - and I do. After all, America's choice will have an effect that stretches far beyond the boundaries of the 50 states.

My first thought when I heard that Sarah Palin had been selected as running mate for Senator McCain was, "Interesting". Then I became uncertain that he had chosen wisely. The facts that she is little known (outside Alaska) and that she apparently has little experience of top-level politics do not necessarily mean that she is the wrong person for the job of Vice President, but something told me that the voters across the pond should be cautious.

Yesterday, my morning newspaper carried a column by one of its regulars, Liz Hunt, in which she seemed to have picked up on and formulated my doubts into words. (Read it here.) I am surprised that most of the comments submitted to the website are ‘anti' her thoughts. But perhaps I shouldn't be. After all, look what our electors chose and where it has landed us.

3 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

"As an Englishman, I can have no input at all into the outcome of the American Presidential election."

Ironically there are many Americans who feel the same.
As for the folks who respond on newspaper websites, I sometimes wonder if they aren't from the fringes.

Brighton Pensioner said...

"As for the folks who respond on newspaper websites, I sometimes wonder if they aren't from the fringes."

Perhaps the same thing could be said about people who comment on blogs?

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Aren't they the same people?
Oh, wait... I don't post comments on newspaper websites ...YET!