Friday 5 September 2008

Retirement is . . .

Soon after I retired, which was way back in 2002, my next-door neighbour predicted that within three months I would be waking up in the morning and wondering how I would fill the hours before going back to bed. Those three months are now six years and three months (and a little bit more), and the prediction has still not come true. Admittedly, I get up later - I no longer have to leave the house at 6.00am to get to work - but there still seems more than enough to keep me occupied.

Take today for example. I have already walked the dog for an hour; I would like to finish redecorating the hall, stairs and landing; my car alarm needs sorting out (I think the constant rain has caused a short circuit); the OB has asked if I will walk the dog again this afternoon as the paths in the woods are wet and slippery and she is not too steady on her feet in those conditions; I should be buying the new tiles for the bathroom; I'm trying to work out how to fill two pages in the middle of the next issue of Jungle Jottings; I ought to call in to the Lions' Housing Society office as I am the treasurer and I haven't been there for a couple of weeks; then there is the preparation for the regular Lions' book fair which is to be held tomorrow; sometime or other I am supposed to be getting a quote for a hearing loop at the Lions' meeting room; and I am also supposed to be getting in touch with the Charity Commissioners to see if it will be possible to remove the restriction placed on some of the Lions Club funds under the terms of the will in which we were left a legacy.

I know work expands to fill the time available, but this is getting ridiculous!

1 comment:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I think I know what you mean. Before I retired I was able to find time to play golf. Now I have to attend a convention if I want to play.