Saturday 27 February 2016

A little bit of luxury

I allowed myself a treat this morning.

I had a lie-in.

Mind you, some people I know might ask, scornfully, "Call that a lie-in?"

I have never been one for lying in bed until ten; if I'm awake, the chances are that I have to be up and doing.  During the last few years of my working life I was woken by the alarm at 5.00am so when I retired, hearing the alarm at seven was something of a luxury.  And yes, I did still need to set the alarm as the OB was still working and would never get out of bed unless I was up first.

The habit of setting the alarm clock has never left me.  Admittedly, I only do it nowadays because the dog is getting older and needs to be let out into the garden if I am to avoid coming down to a puddle in the kitchen.

Now that the mornings are lighter it is so much easier to get out of bed.  All the same, I do find it a bit of a drag.  It would probably be easier if I managed to get a solid seven or eight hours of zizz, but I can't remember that last time I was able to sleep right through.  The OB's lack of mobility means that I have to help her to get out of bed and along to the bathroom.  She needs to go at least once each night, usually twice and sometimes three times and I have changed from a heavy sleeper into a light one - at least as far as she is concerned.  A bit like a mother hearing a baby just before it starts to cry.  Anyway, an extra half-hour this morning was luxury as far as I was concerned!

2 comments:

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Can't beat a decent lie-in, BP; everyone deserves a bit of TLC when it's available. We are lazy most weekend mornings.

joeh said...

Now I am feeling very guilty!