Tuesday 10 November 2015

Missing days

It was back in the mid-18th century that the calendar was changed - September 1752, to be exact.  Up until the 2nd September that year, the UK had been using the Julian calendar, which meant that the British calendar was 12 days behind the calendar used across Europe.  2nd September in England was 13th September in France.  This must have led to a certain confusion when dealing with international payments, albeit nothing like the problems we would face today if that date difference still existed.

Anyway, an act of Parliament decreed that the day after Wednesday, 2nd September 1751 would be Thursday, 13th September, thereby bringing the British calendar in line with that used on the continent, the Gregorian calendar.

BUT, the change brought problems.  People clamoured to be given back the eleven days that had been stolen from them!

I'm feeling a bit like that at the moment, wondering who pinched several days of my life.  I have been so incredibly busy that there has simply been no time to even think of anything to blog about, let alone compose something almost sensible!

Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

3 comments:

#1Nana said...

I didn't know that about the calendar. Add my name to those who want more days...and I'd prefer them at the end of my life!

Sarah said...

I didn't know about the calendar change either - I feel cheated out of 11 days of Summer now ...

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Aw... come on.
They're only numbers, not days.
Mom always said, "If you don't name them, you won't miss them."
The same goes for numbering them.
If every day is Today, you will always have it.


If I continue to tell myself that, I may begin to believe it.