Tuesday 1 July 2014

Insanity optional

As in, "You don't have to be mad to work here..."  Or in this case, live here.  Whether "here" be this country, this town - sorry, city - or even this house!

Let's start with the country.  recently, during a spell of good weather (yes, we do get them. Occasionally.) two of Her Majesty's guests at Dartmoor Prison staged a roof-top protest.  Granted, they had probably decided they wanted to top up their tan and dreamt up some spurious complaint.  Now, I would have thought that if prisoners, incarcerated as a form of punishment, staged a protest of this sort, the authorities would take stronger action that merely saying, "Now be good chaps, please.  Do come down."  I'm not suggesting that they bring in the water cannons or the SAS, but to send up some sun cream on health and safety grounds?

As for this city, examples of madness are legion.  It was in Brighton that the Council spent thousands of pounds putting in a cycle lane.  It was five yards long.  Last Saturday (I think) was designated as Armed Forces Day and there were parades of sailors, soldiers and airmen in numerous towns and cities, including Brighton.  One of our elected Councillors tweeted, "Armed Forces Day has certainly brought the hired killers onto the streets of Brighton today".

And here at home, I was cooking the evening meal - pork chops.  I'm not a cook and need, well, maybe not exactly supervision, but instruction.   The Old Bat warned me, "The chops will need turning shortly".  Bearing in mind that to her "shortly" can be 30 seconds or 30 minutes, I asked for clarification.

"Well, soon."

I rest my case.

2 comments:

joeh said...

Turn them, further instructions will surely follow.

Brighton Pensioner said...

There speaks a true optimist!