Saturday 28 September 2013

My plan for today

I have spent part of the last two afternoons - only part, mind you - reclaiming the vegetable patch.  I'm not sure just how much work I did two autumns ago but i do know that I did none at all last year.  So, the two beds have become almost completely smothered in grass, dandelions, buttercups and all kinds of weeds.  I can fight my way through to the raspberry canes, but that's about the limit.  Of the rhubarb crowns there is no sign at all.  The hedge between my garden and my neighbour's has been pretty much non-existent for several years, most of the original hedging plants having died, but there has sprung up a very productive bramble patch.  This, of course, needs to be cut back severely each year and as we now have enough blackberries in the freezer to see us through until the last trump, or so I am told, I have made a start.  I now have a mountain of green rubbish to be removed to the tip.  A bonfire would be easier, but that's a no-go, so several trips to the tip await.  I hope to make the first this morning, provided the rain that was starting as I got back from walking the dog does not get itself set in for the day.

~~~~~

I've always thought I would like a garden path made of old bricks, like this one at the Upper Lodges of Stanmer Park.


No comments: