Thursday 7 March 2013

I wonder why?

I sometimes take to a form of navel gazing and wonder why I - or anyone else for that matter - try to write something fresh every day to publish on a blog that hardly anybody ever reads.  Is it that I (or we) consider that we have some important point to try to get across, some point that will enrich the lives of millions of people across the world if only we could get a few more people interested?  Is it because our egos are so enormous that we think any vapid thoughts of ours are worth recording for posterity?  Are we perhaps hopeful that somebody somewhere in a position of authority will say, "I like your style of writing.  My company will offer you a ginormous amount of money to publish what you write"?

As far as I am concerned, the answers to those questions are, "No, no, no".  Which still begs the question, "Why?"  I suppose the real answer is, "I haven't the faintest idea".  But I still do it.

~~~~~

There's something about the tracery of bare branches against the sky that I find attractive.  And each variety of tree looks different.


3 comments:

#1Nana said...

Yeah, I've wondered the same thing. I do it because I like to write. I do it for myself. Building relationships with my cyber friends has been an unexpected bonus.

Just yesterday I read some of my old posts...things I'd forgotten al about. I like that I have a written record of what I was thinking about several years ago. The only person I have an obligation to please in my blog is myself.

Buck said...

Which still begs the question, "Why?"

I began writing EIP for my children and grandchildren, I keep on doing it because of the community I've become a part of (and for the kids, too). As Nana said, making friends... very real friends... was the unexpected bonus.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I have this friend in England.
Much of the time the only thing that keeps us in touch is what we post on our blogs... and otherwise we wouldn't know each other nearly as well.