Tuesday 20 November 2012

Late again.

Yesterday even Skip in the far, wild west of America had roused himself and posted on his blog before I got my daily drivel out for the world to see, read and scratch its head in amazement.

(And there's a thing.  I have just posted a link to Skip's site and I see that the URL ends in dot co dot uk instead of dot com.  And so does Buck's.  Weird.)

So yesterday the morning just flew by until it was time to go out for the monthly lunch with Scouting type people.  That was actually early: we left at 11.30 as I calculated the drive would take half an hour (it took 20 minutes) and we never like to get there too late or we have to wait ages for our meal while everyone else has theirs cooked.  It's always at a pub and we each order what we want from the menu.  None of this fixed menu for everyone lark.  Then by the time I had walked the dog again it was well into the afternoon.  Much like today. Except that today is different.

Today I have been on transport duty for the stroke patients' club supported by Brighton Lions.  Supported by providing transport, that is.  I had to drive round the town to collect my three passengers, then while they held their meeting I went to the doctor's surgery to have blood taken for my regular monthly check followed by a visit to the vet for flea spray (for the dog, not me).  Back just in time to collect the old dears and take them back to their homes.  Then lunch and walk the dog.  And so life goes on.

I have at least found the time to cut down most of the raspberry canes and to remove all but one of those that are growing where I don't want them.  That one is coming up straight through the middle of the gooseberry bush and I just can't reach through to dig or pull it out.  That is one of the challenges thrown out by raspberry plants.  The roots track through the soil, throwing up new plants here and there.  Our plants seem to be most prolific - perhaps the chalky soil suits them.  I shudder slightly to think how many runners my next-door neighbour gets.  But then I remember the number of trees I uproot which are the offshoots of her sumac tree.  (I think it's a sumac but I'm none too certain.)  On the whole, I suspect that she gets more shoots than I do so I mustn't complain.

Next, I have the excitement of a shopping expedition to Asda!  And what I must find the time to do is to book the entertainment for the Lilac Lark to be held next May.  Punch & Judy, Morris dancers, a capella singers and a saxophone band are in the frame, along with a brass band one of my fellow Lions is contacting.  I hope I can get the whole shebang for no more than £100.

And I must make an appointment with the dentist...

~~~~~

With rain featuring strongly in the forecast and night-time temperatures dipping towards freezing, let's cast our minds back to summer.  This was taken in the Camargue, France, some two or three years ago.




3 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

"Yesterday even Skip in the far, wild west of America had roused himself and posted on his blog before I got my daily drivel out..."

What do you mean EVEN SKIP?

Buck said...

Brilliant photo! Reminds me of my time in North Dakota, where I used to drive by acres and acres and acres of sunflowers in the summer. The land is flat and wide there, and the spectacle of thousands of sunflowers against a "Big (Brilliant Blue) Sky" was simply breathtaking. Thanks for firing off the synapses...

Brighton Pensioner said...

Skip, I do have a tendency to sometimes open my mouth before running my words completely through my brain. So, "even Skip" really means "despite his clock being eight hours behind mine,"