- When we bought the cottage I started on a rolling redecoration scheme that ensured the whole house was redecorated every three years. I wanted it always looking fresh for our guests. Now I can repaint when I think it necessary.
- With Saturday being our advertised change-over day, we felt obliged - at least during the summer - to travel on Saturdays ourselves in case a booking came in. Now, even at the height of the season, we can travel on whatever day we like and get cheaper Channel crossings as a result.
- By not travelling on Saturday we shall be less likely to find motorway service areas (one in particular) full of Brits and their screaming brats.
- We can leave the beds covered in polythene to stop mice nesting in the duvets.
- We will be able to leave toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, razor and deodorant on the shlf in the shower room instead of packing them away in a locked cupboard when we leave.
- Ditto wrapped foodstuff like packets of coffee and tea bags, containers of sugar etc.
- I will no longer find that the dustmen have refused to take away a sack as it obviously contains something which should be recycled, forcing me to rummage through chicken bones, potato peelings, coffee dregs and all sorts of nasty things to hoick out an empty milk bottle or such like.
And I certainly shan't miss the hassle of dealing with those awkward customers who seem to be growing in number.
Today's picture reflects the mood - a new dawn at Les Lavandes.