Friday 2 September 2011

Still keeping busy

It was, I think, just over two weeks ago that the Old Bat's car failed it's annual roadworthiness test because the left turn indicator repeater light on the dashboard wasn't working.  It was ten days ago that the main dealer sent a man to collect the car so they could remove the dashboard and send the light cluster away somewhere.  (I should add that the light concerned is not an ordinary bulb but an LED.  I assume the rest of the warning lights are as well.)  The garage rang last Friday to say that the cluster had been returned but the indicator repeater was still not working so it all had to go away again.  We have heard nothing more.  Of course, there was a bank holiday last weekend (No, Skip! Don't start that again!) so it's perhaps not to be wondered at but it does mean that I am on chauffeur duty once again this morning.  And not just chauffeur duty.  I will also be expected to traipse round the supermarket.

And tomorrow I have to be at Lions Dene almost before I've walked the dog.  Being the first Saturday of the month, the Lions will be holding their book fair and I am on the rota as one of the setter-uppers.

My regular reader will be aware that I have been researching my family history.  Having ended up with more names than the local telephone directory, I decided I had probably gone far enough, seventh cousins three times removed not being overly interesting.  The trouble was that I got engrossed in the hunt rather than in the object of the hunt.  Anyway, I did make a start on putting the history together as a narrative rather than the more usual family tree.  With all the branches involved, a standard family tree wouldn't work anyway.  That start was made months ago and it's all I can do to average writing a paragraph a day.  At this rate they'll need to put all the papers in my coffin so I can finish the job.

No comments: