Wednesday 7 September 2011

Don't quote me!

It is nearly 34 years since Michael Fish made what has become the biggest gaffe in weather forecasting. He was a television weatherman and in October 1987 he told viewers that he had received a call from a lady worried that a hurricane was coming our way. He assured everyone that, although it would be windy, there was no chance of a hurricane. of course, winds did reach hurricane force and there was severe damage across much of southern England. And what does that have to do with me? Well, yesterday I wrote about the pleasure of walking over the Downs in high winds. In particular, I wrote, "It should be just as good this afternoon, with the added tang of a little damp in the air."

Yes, well. The winds increased to severe gale, force 9, and the "tang of a little damp" was heavy rain being driven horizontally. At times it was all I could do to stay upright, let alone walk into the wind. Fern, my dog, being lower and having four feet was quite happy. I think she prefers a wet and windy day to a dry, sunny one. Later, as the Old Bat and I set off for the supermarket, I was locking the back door when the OB was, quite literally, blown over as she walked to the car. Luckily, apart from to her dignity, there was no damage beyond a grazed elbow and laddered tights.

Today is calm and almost sunny but the rain is forecast to return tomorrow.

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Unexpected severe weather is always, at the least, interesting.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I'm sure nobody wants to hear about our weather.