Thursday 2 June 2011

In praise of the NHS

Our poor old National Health Service comes in for plenty of criticism - and, in many cases, deservedly so. I have been known to make uncomplimentary remarks myself, usually about the prevalence of highly-paid chiefs and the paucity of lower ranks. But I must also give praise when praise is due. This is one of those times.

I related a story about three weeks ago in which I mentioned that I went to the doctor because I had been suffering from a cough for about three or four weeks. He prescribed a course of antibiotics which I finished a couple of days before going to France for a week. The drugs had made not the slightest difference (though I should perhaps add that the old-fashioned remedy of hot honey and lemon juice does ease the cough) so on Tuesday - two days ago - I rang the surgery to make another appointment. This time I specified which doctors I was prepared to see and was surprised to be offered a choice of two appointments that very morning. He took my temperature, measured my oxygen level and listened to my chest. He found nothing out of the ordinary and decided an x-ray would be needed. If I opted to travel to Hove Polyclinic, I could visit their walk-in x-ray department any time between 9.00am and 4.00pm. I would have to wait for an appointment at the Royal Sussex County Hospital. Parking at the RSCH costs an arm and a leg (and often an hour's wait for a space) whereas it is free at Hove. Guess which I chose! The doctor suggested I telephone in two weeks' time to learn the results of the x-ray.

At Hove, I waited no more than five minutes before I was ushered into the x-ray room and just as quickly back out, all done. I was told to ring my GP in ten days.

That was Tuesday morning. At about 6.15 that evening I answered the phone. It was the doctor. Although he had not seen the x-rays, a report had been faxed to him. My heart and left lung appeared fine, but there was something at the top of the right lung which had not been identified. The GP wanted my to see a respiratory consultant who would probably order a CT scan (whatever that is). He - the GP - would write to the hospital and I should hear in about two weeks. As I said, that was Tuesday evening. Today, Thursday, I had a call from the hospital offering me an appointment for a CT scan at 9.45 next Tuesday with an appointment with a consultant later that morning.

Now that is service, service which I doubt could have been bettered if I had been prepared to pay through the nose for it. (Some would say I already have paid through the nose for it as I paid my National Insurance contributions all my working life.) Of course, the Old Bat is worried that the speed is indicative of the worst. Heck, I'm worried about that myself! But let's give the NHS its due: all those concerned are doing their level best to get this sorted as quickly as possible and I thank them all.

3 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Add two more concerned. It is amazing how well things are being expedited.

Suldog said...

Sounds like good service, all right. Here's a prayer that the speed has nothing whatsoever to do with anything other than good people doing a good job of it.

#1Nana said...

For all our blessings in the U.S., a national health service is not one of them. Our lack of universal medical health care is a big problem for many people. You are fortunate to have such good service. My fingers are crossed that your issue will turn out to be nothing.