Tuesday 17 May 2011

Quote of the day

"Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity." (Christopher Morley)

That showed up this morning in my sidebar and, as it will be gone tomorrow, I thought it worth copying. You see, it resonates with me. And if "resonate" seems to be the wrong word, then tough. I know what I mean.

I like especially the third commandment: "Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do". I only wiish I could live up to that. There certainly have been times when I have struck out on my own but those times have been fewer and farther between than I would really like. I wish I had both the courage and the imagination to be a true eccentric, to do things that are not so much really daft as just a little odd, things that perhaps many people would like to do but that would make them too self-conscious. And don't ask what sort of things. I don't have the imagination to think of any.

Oh well, I shall just have to settle for a life of drab conformity, I suppose. How boring that sounds.

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Perhaps boring conformity is the thing nobody else is doing today? Then it would work out!

Brighton Pensioner said...

Suldog, that is lateral thinking at its best. But I suspect your suggestion is unlikely to come to pass.