Sunday 17 April 2011

Wedding fever


I have so far managed to avoid any mention of the forthcoming Royal Nuptials, not because I am anti-monarchy (or anti-marriage), nor because I am completely without interest in the matter. I think that in our soon-to-be Princess Kate, or Catherine as we must learn to call her, we have a very attractive woman whose picture I am happy to see in the newspaper. She seems always to be wearing a dazzling smile which lights up the gloomiest morning.

The press have used not just column inches but yards covering just about every aspect of the wedding day from speculation about the designer of the wedding dress to advice on her hair style and make-up. Funny how it has all been directed at Kate with William being completely swept aside as if he has just a walk-on part in the whole thing.

There has been - shall I say, encouragement? - from No 10 for street parties to be held on 29 April (the wedding day) and local councils have been told to cut out the red tape involved in giving permission for these. Despite this, there have been reports of bureaucratic nightmares for some people and, in any case, the number pf these parties being planned is fairly small. I suppose this is partly because the weather in this country is iffy at any time and particularly so in April and partly because we just don't "do" street parties anymore in the way that we did say, 60 or 70 years ago.

Street parties or not, the forecast is for a worldwide television audience of billions. I just hope she knows what she is letting herself in for.

2 comments:

#1Nana said...

Have you bought your commemorative tea towel yet?

I still have coronation commemoratives that my mother purchased for me when I was a toddler.

Brighton Pensioner said...

No, Nana, I don't "do" that type of memorabilia. I don't need it for the coronation as I have my own memories. I'm ancient!