Wednesday 13 April 2011

There you are

And here I am, back before you've had time to miss me. It was a very pleasant break, but too short. Although traffic was heavy on the motorways both ways, we got held up only for a very short while heading north on Sunday afternoon. We had a most enjoyable Sunday lunch which was made all the better when another lady at the pub complimented us on the boys' behaviour.

I am sure there are more sheep around this year than I have seen for many years, both on the Downs round here and as we drove up to Sutton Coldfield. There were also great swathes of cowslips on the motorway verges. Very nice to see this flower making something of a comeback. I was, however, disappointed not to see the red kites as we passed through the Chilterns.

We had to come back yesterday as I had already promised to provide a taxi ride for my younger son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter to Gatwick for them to fly off to Tenerife or somewhere for a holiday in the sun.

3 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I was going to pose this question on my blog, but decided to go (come?) to the man who may actually have an answer.
Now, I know it isn't true of all of the British, but it seems many travel across the sea on holiday. What interest me and piques my curiosity has to do with them leaving an island... to travel to a smaller island. As we say here when someone does something we don't understand, "What's up with that?"

Brighton Pensioner said...

The Canary Isles, the Balearics, the Azores, Madeira, Malta, Cyprus, Crete, any West Indian island - all offer a better chance of sun and warmth than staying here in England. The same, of course, goes for other popular destinations like Florida, Turkey, Egypt, Greece, Italy, mainland Spain, southern France... even the Isle of Wight!

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Thanks.
My mind was somewhere entirely different. It never occurred that sun-seeking had anything to do with it. That happens when one moves away from San Francisco, which has a climate similar to Greenland or Iceland.