Friday 21 January 2011

Little things please little minds

I do derive a certain amusement from some of the bits in the sidebar to the right. They have all been put there for my benefit alone, not for the edification of any passing reader, although I know of one regular from California who always reads the quote of the day - which he has been known to steal on occasion. I sometimes find one I am happy to borrow to include in Jungle Jottings, the monthly newsletter for Brighton Lions Club of which I am the editor. I like to include a quotation as a 'pause for thought' each month.

Next we have the flag parade. I put this widget there 15 months ago, since when this blog has had visitors from no less than 93 different countries, which I find staggering. The gizmo also tells me that I have collected the flags of 47 out of the 51 states of the USA. I haven't the faintest idea which states are missing as the information is listed by states in the order of numbers of visitors rather than alphabetically. I can't be bothered to work out which are the missing ones.

Down at the bottom of the side bar are snippets from what are called "popular posts". Ever since I put this up, the St David's Day post has been top of the list, with "Stories from Childhood" and "The Richest Language" vieing for second place. These "popular posts" are the most read posts from the blog over the last 30 days. Looking at the statistics provided by Blogger (for which many thanks - another little thing to please a little mind) I see that quite a few of the visitors to this trivia of a blog have come here after conducting searches on Google, searches for daffodils (usually pictures) or the richest language. I must try doing that myself sometime - out of sheer curiosity to see where this blog features in the results. The majority of the other visitors have come from Skip's or Suldog's blogs. It is said that it is better to travel hopefully than to arrive. I hope that was not the experience of all those readers who arrived here that way - but I suspect that many of them quickly became disillusioned.

So, now I have told you about some of the little things that please my little mind, I'll chunter off until tomorrow when you will have another Scenic Saturday post to amuse you.

5 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

The baguettes in Menton look particularly good this morning.

Brighton Pensioner said...

Roll on next week when I can get the real thing.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

If you don't stop that, I'm going to go on about how it is 70 degrees right now.

Brighton Pensioner said...

70? I wish I could remember what that feels like. The wind this morning could be straight from Siberia it is so cold.

#1Nana said...

It's the little things that make having a blog so satisfying. I, too, give pause when I see my most read posts include a few that are not my best work. I also wonder about the visitors from exotic locations...their visits are the closest I'll ever get to seeing the likes of Africa or China.