Thursday 23 September 2010

I didn't know that

I had a gut feeling that today was the autumn equinox and I have just checked it out. I was right - and yet I was also wrong. It would appear that an equinox is not, as I had incorrectly supposed, a date when day and night are of equal length.

I have tried to follow the explanation in Wiki, but it went a bit over my head. All I really need to know is that autumn is here.

I really must get down the garden to harvest the pears and as many apples as are ripe. There might be a few more raspberries as well. We had a good serving of fresh raspberries and cream for dessert yesterday, a particular pleasure as the summer raspberry season is now two months or so past. Autumn raspberries just seem somehow special.

1 comment:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

What I gather it mean is that the nights in each of the two hemispheres are of equal length... that is provided you believe the world is round, not flat.