Wednesday 27 August 2008

I'm a good driver

Like most men, I consider that I am a good driver. But it is getting on for 50 years since I passed the driving test. Since then, cars have, of course, changed quite a lot: they have become very much more powerful and the handling has altered. There are also a lot more of them on the roads. To add to all that, I am certain to have developed some bad habits along the way.

So I decided I should look into taking the 90 minute long advanced driving test of the Institute of Advanced Motorists. This involves undergoing training with specially qualified instructors (usually police class 1 drivers).

I have signed up for it, and received my advanced driving guide, a book covering the essentials of so-called advanced driving. On reading it, I discovered that I already put into practice most of these points. At least, I think I do. Now I have to contact the local group to arrange for my first observed drive when I will probably find that I don't!

Watch this space.

No comments: