Wednesday 20 March 2013

Birthday blues

It's not my birthday today - that best-forgotten date is still two months away - but it is the Old Bat's - and I won't tell you how old she is except that I will confirm she is younger than me.  But then, so many people are.  Younger than me, that is.  (Sigh)  As I was saying, it's the OB's birthday today.  And I have two meetings to attend this evening.  I really have to be at the first, a meeting of the Lions Housing Society management committee, as I am treasurer and the annual accounts are to be considered by the assembled throng so that we can call the AGM for next month.  Oh yes, we do try to do things properly.  There should be no problem with the accounts for the year as they show income (mainly rents received) up to just a whisker short of £700,000 and a net surplus of £260,000 to put towards the next development.  Either that or possibly buying the freehold of a plot of land which we currently have on a long lease.  For two years we have been trying to get the council to agree to sell the land (on which we have two blocks of flats) and a council representative is to be at the meeting to give us the decision.  Finally!

After that, I have a business meeting of the Lions Club.  I missed the meeting last month as we were in France so I am not keen to miss this one.  And we are due to have the fireworks accounts presented.   That will almost certainly spark off a heated debate - not about the accounts, which show a healthy surplus, but about the arrangements we have with the Sussex County Cricket Club.

Anyway, I have promised to take her ladyship out for dinner tomorrow.  She was given the chance to choose the restaurant and I was not at all surprised when she opted for our local Italian.  I'm looking forward to it already!  I was really pulling my hair out over a present for her and have ended up being most unoriginal.  A potted orchid and a box of (milk) chocolates for her to spoil herself while I'm out this evening.

~~~~~

Glancing through some photos, I came across those I took a couple of years back when we on holiday in Provence.  We drove to the Carmargue one day, that marshy land in the delta of the River Rhone.  The Carmargue is, I believe, the only place in western Europe where one can see wild flamingos.  It is also known for black bulls and white horses.  And we were lucky enough to see all three.  It's a pity the horses refused to pose properly for me.


4 comments:

Suldog said...

Happy Birthday to The Old Bat! And many, many more!

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Give SWMBO our best and enjoy dinner tomrrow.

Buck said...

Happy Birthday to Yer Better Half.

Brighton Pensioner said...

On behalf of her ladyship, thank you all.