Sunday 23 January 2011

Catching up

Several days ago I mentioned my intention of saying as little as possible at the meeting of Brighton Lions Club on the grounds that (a)if I wasn't careful I would end up with too many new jobs and (b)I had made enough suggestions to the club at the previous two meetings and it might seem to some that it was becoming my personal fiefdom. I am pleased to report that, despite extreme provocation from the President who seemed to want me to speak about everything on the agenda and several things that weren't, I managed it. I did speak (but not fervently or persuasively enough) in favour of the club taking over the classic motorcycle run. As soon as my colleague had finished explaining what was involved etc, one of the oldest members immediately said it was too big a project for us. I had to bite my tongue to stop myself reminding him that he was a member of the club when they instigated an even bigger project - a week of carnival activities - and that I could see no good reason why we shouldn't take on a one-day event even if it did mean a lot of preparatory work. Anyway, when it came to the vote there were just four of us in favour.

I do worry (if that's not too strong a word) that the club has had things too easy for a number of years and is now unwilling to make much effort to raise funds. We received a very substantial legacy about ten years ago and have been spending only the income from the money. That had been building up faster than we were spending it (there are restrictions on how it can be used) and there are still substantial funds sitting there. However, with interest rates as low as they are we are now spending faster than we are earning. On the unrestricted side, we raise a lot of money at the annual fireworks display. Although this needs a lot of preparation by a small - very small - group, the majority of the Lions are involved only from about 5.00pm until about 8.30pm. Easy money as far as they are concerned.

But there is good news. There were no fewer than four prospective members at the meeting this month, three of whom have already attended at least three meetings and one fund raising event so they know something of what is involved and are more than likely to join the club.

No comments: