Tuesday 9 November 2010

I wonder

Regular visitors to my blog (and I know there are a handful) will be well aware that I am a member of my local Lions Club. I have been for nearly 24 years. From time to time I have voiced my opinion at meetings of the club - no, I have frequently voiced my opinion, but only very occasionally have I done so other than privately when the subject of members non-attendance has been aired. My view has tended to be that if a member is not prepared to attend meetings or fund-raising events nor join in any form of service activity, they are not true members of the club even though they pay their annual subscriptions. I know that circumstances change and I have every respect for members who, having been hard workers in the past, find themselves unable to contribute for various reasons. The usual response is to allow them to ‘go at large', ie miss all activities, for a period of six months. Trouble is, that first six months so frequently stretches into an indefinite period.

But reading a fellow Lion's comments yesterday on his blog here on the shaping of a Lion has made me think again. Perhaps I should be a little less dogmatic in the future.

1 comment:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

That was a good post. I have asked for permission to copy it to our district newsletter.