Thursday 28 October 2010

The Emperor is dead

I had never heard of the Emperor of Exmoor until earlier this week when I was saddened to learn that he is no more, having been shot by a trophy hunter. Those last two words will indicate to most readers that the Emperor was no member of the human race: he was a red deer stag. Estimated to weigh some 300 pounds and standing about nine feet at the tip of his antlers, he was reckoned to be the largest wild animal in these islands. He was thought to be about 12 years old.

I wrote that I was saddened to learn of his death, and that is indeed the case. But as to the manner of his death - well, that both puzzles and angers me. You see, it is thought that a trophy hunter paid a large sum to kill him for his antlers, which are said to be worth up to £10,000. I just cannot understand the mentality of people who hunt and kill wild animals just for the thrill of killing them. It is no good me asking, 'Why?' and expecting somebody to explain it so that I can understand. I never have and I never will understand.

I know that it is sometimes necessary to cull deer when their numbers are becoming too great or when they have reached the stage where it is kinder to kill them than to let them die slowly of disease or starvation. I might not particularly like it, but I understand and accept it.

But trophy hunting? Never!

1 comment:

Suldog said...

No, I've never understood it either. Hunting for meat? Yes, I understand that. Or to get rid of a dangerous animal, or to truly help the herd? Yes. Just for the sake of killing something? For a thrill? I consider those very dangerous people, indeed.